Adult education in Maine is a statewide system of more than 100 connected learning programs and centers from Kittery to Fort Kent and everywhere in between.
- Adult education programs offer courses in 5 major categories:
- Business & Skills Training courses help prepare Maine citizens by providing the modern skills training necessary for new careers, promotions, and other career advancement.
- College Transitions courses assist people of all ages wishing to make the transition into college-level courses.
- HiSET & High School Completion courses help people complete their high school education.
- English Language Learning courses give people the guidance, support, and training necessary to improve their literacy skills and the literacy skills of their family.
- Personal enrichment courses include lessons in skills such as cooking and musical instruments, and also include a variety of unique and fun experiences including travel (local and international).
In any economy, Adult Education courses are great choices because they are local, affordable, and are designed to fit within your schedule.
PROGRAMS SPECIFIC TO ROCKLAND/THOMASTON AREAS
- RSU #13 Programs
- Adult Basic Education/HiSET Preparation: Have the skill levels changed in your job and you need a diploma? Adult Basic Education (ABE) programs are individualized for each learner to achieve his or her goals. We offer instruction in the 5 HiSET subjects of reading, writing, math, science and social studies. RSU13 Adult Education is a HiSET test center, so after you complete your preparation, you can take your official tests with us.Testing accommodations are available to persons with documented disabilities. For more information on accommodations, contact Christy Monroe at 594-9764. Graduates receive a Maine High School Equivalency Diploma, which is accepted by colleges and employers. If you already have a diploma but need to work on specific skills to advance in your career, we can create a tailored curriculum to meet your needs. Classes are free and confidential. Call us at 594-9764.
- High School Adult Education Diploma: A total of 20 Carnegie Units (credits) are required to earn a RSU13 Adult Education diploma. Credits previously earned through accredited high schools, trade schools, or alternative programs are usually accepted. A personal education program is designed with consideration toward students’ academic and vocational interests. To enroll, call 594-9764
- After-School Programming: Adult and Community Education offers free after-school arts programming for Rockland and Thomaston area students in 4th-8th grades. Contact Alexis Iammarino at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Maine College and Career Access Program: The MCCA Program, formerly known as College Transitions, is designed to help adults transition into education or training programs. We provide tutoring in English, Math, and Computer Skills, as well as individualized advising to help you with the admission and financial aid processes. Each semester, we offer a semester-long course at UMA-Rockland Center that serves as an on-ramp to college success. Students pay for textbooks but the class is otherwise free. For more details on this program, contact Peg Junge at 691-5751.
- English Language Learning (ELL): We have an active ELL group that meets to improve their speaking, listening, reading and writing skills. Lessons incorporate workplace vocabulary, life skills and civics education. Students can also prepare for their citizenship exam and TOEFL exam in our Learning Center.
Meet Our Staff:
Director of RSU 13 Adult & Community Education, email@example.com - Christy began working with Adult & Community Education in 2008, and became the Director at RSU13 in 2017. She can be found working in her office on the 2nd floor of McLain on program design, budgets, grants and reporting for both the Adult Education program and After-School Arts programming offered to students K-12 across the district. She enjoys connecting with students and welcomes them to stop by to chat anytime!
Program Assistant, firstname.lastname@example.org - Callie is the person who will most likely be answering the phone and setting up your initial intake appointment with us. She is also the HiSET Administrator and assists with our Arts in Action after-school art programs across the district. Callie is located in our main office and ready to welcome you into our program.
Academic Coordinator, email@example.com - Caitlin conducts Intake appointments, so she will be the first person you meet with when you enroll as a student with RSU13 Adult Education. She also works with students as an instructor in the Learning Center, as a career and college advisor, and as a coach to help you achieve your goals. Caitlin can connect you with programs and services in the community and is available to answer questions and provide support.
Mathematics Instructor, firstname.lastname@example.org - Peg helps students improve skills for high school credentials and college math. Peg enjoys working with students at all levels, making math easy to understand and to do successfully. She also organizes and teaches College Next on site at UROCK, a college preparation course that has run since 2014.
English Instructor, email@example.com - Formerly a high school English teacher, Brenda teaches English in the Learning Center. She can help you prepare for the HiSET exam, or earn those high school English credits that are keeping you from graduating. Brenda also works with college-bound students to improve their English ACCUPLACER scores. In addition, she enjoys working with students who want to learn to read and write better to get ahead in the workplace -- or just for their own enjoyment and satisfaction!
ELL Coordinator and Tutor, firstname.lastname@example.org - Elizabeth is ready to greet English as a Second Language Learners of all skill levels. Students are invited to join in group conversation classes or one-on-one tutoring. She can also help students study for the Citizenship Exam or for the TOEFL Exam. You will find Elizabeth on the 2nd floor in the Computer Lab. We are always happy to see new faces join our group!