COVID-19 Fall Semester Plan
RSU 13 Adult & Community Education will begin the fall semester on September 8, 2020 with options for fully remote and hybrid learning in the following academic programming:
- HiSET(formerly GED) preparation and testing
- High School Diploma Completion(HSDC)
- English Language Learning(ELL)
- Digital Literacy
- Career Advising
- College Transitions.
Fully Remote: Initial intake and enrollment appointments, assessments*, instructor meetings, and program orientation are conducted via telephone or Zoom. Ongoing instruction is offered via Zoom and other digital learning platforms.
Hybrid: Initial intake and enrollment appointments, assessments, instructor meetings, and program orientation are conducted in-person, and in accordance with the district health & safety protocols. Ongoing instruction is offered via Zoom and other digital learning platforms.
- All programming listed here is at NO COST to parents and community members.
- All in-person meetings and classes will take place at the McLain School Building on the 2nd and 3rd floors.
- Beginner computer skills instruction, including orientations on basic use of Zoom, Google, HiSET Academy, Brightspace, Schoology, and other learning platforms will be available in-person by individual student appointment to all enrolled participants.
- All classes continue to be instructed by certified teachers using standards-based curriculum in the remote and hybrid settings.
- Proxy hours may be counted towards HSDC credits as approved by the instructor. This is a change from only in-person on-site hours being applicable for HSDC.
- Limited ELL instruction for the very beginner will be available in-person.
- A limited number of laptops and chromebooks are available for loan to active academic students that demonstrate a need and ongoing participation in their diploma, college transitions, or ELL program.
- *Most assessments may be conducted remotely using Zoom. Final HiSET exams are not currently available as remote options and will be conducted in-person with individual student appointments until remote testing is released nationally.
Office hours are available in-person by appointment only, or virtually as scheduled. Current schedules are listed at www.rsu13.maineadulted.org or call 207-594-9764.